Saturday, September 19, 2009

BBAW interview - Meet Aarti!


This is probably the neatest thing about BBAW. Getting to 'meet' a blogger you haven't crossed paths with before. I had a chance to interview Aarti of Booklust!

1. What author would you most likely to meet, and what would you spend your time doing with him/her?

I would love to meet Jane Austen. She really fueled my love of history, particularly English history of the 18th and 19th centuries. And she is so witty and fun, I think she would be a great companion. I would just like to spend a typical Georgian-era England day with her, walking around a small rural town, having tea, and attending an assembly in the evening, of course, after which we would gossip about all attendees.

2. What story that you've read would you most like to "visit," i.e., live along with the characters in it? And why?

Gosh, so many stories are wonderful! My first instinct is to say that I'd love to populate a fantasy novel, but most of those take place in times of great strife or war, which I can't think would be fun. I would love to "visit" the Anne of Green Gables series of books, I think. They make Prince Edward Island sound so lovely and I've always wanted to go there. Eventually I'm sure I'll get there!

3. Do you finish every book you start?

No, I do not. I used to feel guilty about not doing so, but now I feel guilty about spending time on a book that doesn't interest me when there are so many more waiting to be read on my shelves. I give every book at least 50 pages, though.

4. What is your favorite book? Why?

The book I unhesitatingly recommend to everyone is The Shadow of the Wind, by Carlos Ruiz-Zafon. However, I don't know if that is my FAVORITE book. It's one that I love and think a lot of other people
(readers and non-readers alike) would love, too. My favorite author is probably Georgette Heyer, who wrote historical romance and mysteries. She's one of the few that I re-read. I also buy all Lindsey Davis's books. And I love the fantasy genre, particularly Terry Pratchett and Guy Gavriel Kay. So I don't know what my favorite book overall would be...


5. Fantasy and historical fiction seem to be the genres you cover the most. What appeals to you about these areas?

I wish I could answer this question eloquently, but I have a feeling that I won't be able to! I really have no idea. I have always had an obsession with history- I love the romance of being in an and imagining the lives of all the people who walked through it. I always thought I'd prefer to be living in the past to the present(until I REALLY think about the details of it). And so reading historical fiction stemmed mostly from that. And fantasy is kind of an extension of that- a lot of fantasy takes place in historical fiction-like settings.I really respect authors who can viably create whole new worlds and religions and cultures and histories, the way some fantasy authors do. It's fascinating to read when done well.

6. You know the standard questions! Why did you start blogging. Why do you keep blogging? How much time do you spend on your blog - reviewing, upkeep , commenting etc? What is the best part of blogging for you?

Hmm definitely more than one question there! I started in 2005, and I think I just started because a lot of people on my online book groups were doing it! Now I do it because it's become a habit, and I've met such a wonderful community of book bloggers! It's really a wonderful way to remember books I've read, get recommendations for future reading, and keep in touch with a great group of people. I don't know how much time I spend on my blog, really. I think the time commitment level has gone up this year, quite a bit, though!

7. I'm always curious as to how others write their review. Do you take notes as you read? Do you dive right in and start to write as you turn the last page or do you let it sit an percolate for a bit?

I don't take notes as I read, but I will flag particular quotes or passages that stand out to me. I usually try to review very soon after I finish reading, though sometimes I mull for a while.

8. How do you see bloggers fitting into the publishing world?

Oh, gosh, I have no idea! I think the publishing industry is in a period of great change, and I hope that it makes it through alright. I don't know how electronic media will affect publishing, particularly in book reading, but I do think blogging helps get the word out on books that might otherwise slip through the radar.

9. What book do you think everyone should read?

The Phantom Tollbooth, by Norton Juster.

10. We're doing this long distance as you're visiting in India. Where else have you travelled in the world? Ever been to Canada?

I love to travel. I have been throughout Europe and much of Asia, and I lived in New Zealand for three months, too. Yes, I've been to Canada (Niagara Falls and Vancouver), but there's a lot of Canada I'd still like to see. Montreal being at the top of my list. But no matter where I go, I still think Chicago is the best place in the world :-)

11. When you're not reading, what else do you like to do?

I really enjoy cooking, and spending time with friends and family.

12. Have you ever met up with any of the bloggers you've met online?

Nope, never.

13. Pets? Husband? Children? Vices? (just kidding!)

None of the above!

14. Do you have a home library? Do you buy books? Keep them, lend them, donate them?

I do, yes, though space is at a premium. I do buy books, and then I periodically purge and donate them. I lend some out, too. But I always try to get those back...

15. Ever get writers block? What about a book you've accepted for review, but really didn't like?

If I accept a book for review and don't like it, I review it as such. But I always try to find something good to say.>


Thanks Aarti - it was great to 'meet' you! You can read my interview here.

5 comments:

Anna said...

Great questions! I think it would be interesting to meet Jane Austen. I'd love to hear her thoughts on all the sequels. Off to check out Aarti's blog!

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric

bermudaonion said...

You did a great job with your interview! I agree this was one of the best parts of BBAW and I was thrilled when I got a new to me blogger to interview.

Aarti said...

It was great to meet you, too, Luanne! I have added you to my blog reader, and I look forward to finding tons of new books from you!

Luanne said...

Welcome Hiro.

Anonymous said...

Great interview. I read the Phantom Tollbooth with my daughter not too long ago. It's a classic I missed as a child.