Wednesday, September 2, 2009

The Juror - George Dawes Green


The Juror by George Dawes Green was originally released from The Hachette Book Group in '95, but has been re released this year. (It was also made into a movie in '96 with Demi Moore and Alec Baldwin)

Annie Laird is a struggling single mother. When she is called to jury duty, she accepts, determined to do her civic duty. She is approached by a man known only as The Teacher, who insists that she 'sway' the jurors to a not guilty verdict. Her inspiration? Her son and friends will remain unscathed. Fail and......

Suddenly her civic duty has become a matter of life and death. Annie isn't quite the pushover The Teacher thought she was though....

I listened to this abridged version in audio format. It was read by Lolita Davidovich and John Heard. Davidovich's voice perfectly portrays a young innocent woman. It belies the steel that exists within Annie. John Heard's carefully modulated even tones are in direct contrast with the threats he delivers, making them all the more menacing.

An excellent taut thriller, pitting two unlikely adversaries against each other. I must say as a personal preference, I do prefer unabridged audio. There is no lack of continuity with the abridged, but I always feel like I've missed something.

Listen to an except of The Juror.

6 comments:

Jenny said...

This looks good! What a scary concept..

bermudaonion said...

I have the book of this and really had no idea what it was about. It sounds great! I can't wait to read it now.

Hazra said...

I remember the movie, but I never knew it was based on a book.

Cackleberry Homestead said...

I never read the book - but I remember the movie so I bet the book is great. I agree that I like unabridged books the best.

Alyce said...

I feel the same way about abridged audiobooks. I hadn't realized there was a movie.

Anonymous said...

As I've been an adult, I don't think I've read or listened to anything abridged. I think I'd be wondering what they left out.