Friday, February 12, 2010

Warmans' Button Field Guide - Jill Gorski AND Button it Up - Susan Beal


Does anyone else out there have a tin or jar of buttons, collected over the years? I'm lucky enough to have some of my Grandmother's buttons. I remember playing with them when I was younger, emptying the tin out and sorting them into piles of different colours or shapes.

These two books were both on the new book display at my local library and I couldn't resist picking them up.

The Warman's Field Guide is fascinating. It starts off with the history of buttons and lots of information on actaully collecting buttons as a hobby. It features full colour photos detailing all the different types of buttons (more than you think!) and their values. I actually found a few of Grandma's in this book!

Button It Up has full colour photos as well, detailing ove 80 projects involving using up your button stash. Many of them inolve jewellery and are quite creative.

As a sewer, I have my own tin of buttons, ready for any project or repair needed. And I'm still exploring making my own polymer clay buttons for children's garments or quilt embellishment.

What's your button story?

3 comments:

bermudaonion said...

Oh my gosh, these would be the perfect gift for a friend of mine!

Adele said...

I have a load in the sewing box my mum gave me, of course it's not as though I ever sew.

Diane Dehler said...

This looks like a great book. I gave my daughter a huge jar filled with mother of pearl buttons and others that were collected by my mother and grandmother. It would be great to learn about them.