Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Awkward Family Pet Photos - Mike Bender and Doug Chernack

I featured Mike Bender and Doug Chernack's New York Times bestseller Awkward Family Photos way back in Over the Counter # 20. It truly was a laugh out loud book.

They're back with their latest collection - Awkward Family Pet Photos.  All the photos have been sent in by the pet owners (and really every pet you can think of is covered) themselves. Some are accompanied by a short note setting the scene. Others - well some pictures speak for themselves....

Now, I am a devoted pet owner myself - I'm a dog person. I do have many photos with myself and my pups, but I've never taken a formal portrait with them. The studio posed photos had me laughing out loud. I wonder what the photographer thought when one family had a picture of their four children taken - each one with their pet snake.

The candid photos are the best though. Pets are indeed part of our families and their willingness (most of the time) to go along with some very dubious costumes, situations and settings make for some great memories. And with Christmas around the corner, make sure you take a photo as you put that reindeer headband on your dog or take your chinchilla to visit Santa. And then you can submit your photo to the Awkward Family Pet Photo website ! You can find them on Facebook as well.

Really, if you need a chuckle, (or a gift for that 'what do you buy' person on your list) pick up either of these (awkward) books! Have a peek inside.

4 comments:

bermudaonion said...

We've taken our dog for lots of studio portraits - I'm not sure what that says about us. I need to check this book out.

Dorte H said...

LOL what an idea!

Unknown said...

I am a huge pet lover and grew up in a family that had 2 dogs, 5 cats, a bunny, a hamster, goldfish and a horse and I now have a house full of cats but the idea of a posed family portrait with pets never crossed my mind! That's hilarious! I know there are photographers who specialize in or only take pet photos. But each family member with their pet snake freaks me out!

This book sounds wonderful and I look forward to poring over the photos of the pets and their beloved family members!

Luanne said...

Kathy, Dorte and Amy - both books are really funny - you can see some of the shots on their website.