Thursday, April 4, 2013

Over the Counter #157

What books caught my eye this week as they passed over the library counter and under my scanner? A pair of books celebrating the fifties this week.

First up was Doo Wop: The Music, The Times, The Era by 'Cousin Brucie' Morrow with Rich Maloof.

From the publisher, Sterling Publishing:

The spirit of the doo wop era, captured in spectacular visuals! This landmark volume by radio legend “Cousin Brucie” Morrow--now in paperback--not only revisits the gorgeous, lilting harmonies of unforgettable doo wop favorites, but also traces music, politics, art, architecture, and popular culture from doo wop’s 1940s roots up into the sixties. Much like the best-selling title Hippie, chapters are filled with priceless memorabilia from the period, including duotone and full-color archival photography, posters, album covers, newspaper articles, magazine covers, lyrics, and more.

 Next up was Retro-dos by Carmela Melecio.

From the publisher, Author House:

"I have put together this step-by-step book on creating some of my hair styles. I promise that “Retro-dos” will lead you in your quest to master the skill of retro hair styling. These styles will take you a few times to master, it takes patience and practice, but then you can create whatever your imagination lets you."

(Over the Counter is a regular feature at A Bookworm's World. I've sadly come to the realization that I cannot physically read every book that catches my interest as it crosses over my counter at the library. But...I can mention them and maybe one of them will catchy your eye as well. See if your local library has them on their shelves!)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I really like your concept of "over the counter" As a fellow librarian, I always make a mental list of books that catch my eye. What a great way to incorporate it into a blog! I am becoming a follower :)
Katelynn


www.literarychameleon.blogspot.com
literarychameleon@gmail.com

Luanne said...

Hi Katelynn:

Thanks! It's fun to see what books I can find throughout the week. Thanks for becoming a follower - and I am now following you as well!