Monday, May 27, 2013

Never Tell - Alafair Burke

I only 'discovered' Alafair Burke a couple of years ago when I picked up 212 - the third in a series featuring NYPD Detective Ellie Hatcher. I remember thinking at that time 'why is this author not already on my 'must read' list'? (She was promptly added!)

Never Tell is the fourth book in the Hatcher series. Burke piques our interest with the opening prologue - an entry from a blog - "Second Acts: Confessions of a Former Victim and Current Survivor."

Cut to Ellie and her partner Rogan - they've been called out to what appears to be a clear cut suicide. But the dead girl is young - and her parents are rich and influential. Her mother insists her daughter would never kill herself. Ellie thinks the call is a waste of her time and believes the death is exactly what it appears to be. Rogan - he's got his doubts. And it turns out he's right. A chastened Hatcher approaches the case with a new attitude. And what she finds........

Ellie is a great protagonist. She's real and fallible, but at the same time tough, dogged and determined.  I enjoyed the secondary story line of Ellie's love life -  her relationship with Max, an NYC Assistant District Attorney. I always like to get to 'know' a character's life and follow the changes throughout a series.  Rogan works as a good foil to Ellie's personality. They are complete opposites, but work well together. Their dialogue is easy and entertaining.

Burke has again come up with a plot populated with enough false leads and twists to keep me wondering 'whodunit' until the last few chapters. Never Tell kept me interested from first to last page. Burke has worked as a criminal prosecutor and currently teaches criminal law. That insider knowledge gives her writing an added punch and a dose of reality. A recommended series. See for yourself - read an excerpt of Never Tell.

Fans of Lisa Gardner and Linda Fairstein would enjoy Alafair Burke's books. I'm looking forward to her next book - a stand alone called If You Were Here, releasing June 4th. Watch for my review!

"Alafair Burke is the author of “two power house series” (Sun-Sentinel) that have earned her a reputation for creating strong, believable, and eminently likable female characters, such as NYPD Detective Ellie Hatcher and Portland Deputy District Attorney Samantha Kincaid. Alafair’s novels grow out of her experience as a prosecutor in America’s police precincts and criminal courtrooms, and have been featured by The Today Show, People Magazine, The New York Times, MSNBC, The Washington Post, USA Today, and The Chicago Sun-Times. According to Entertainment Weekly, Alafair “is a terrific web spinner” who “knows when and how to drop clues to keep readers at her mercy.”  You can find Alafair Burke on Facebook and on Twitter.


See what others on the TLC Book Tour thought. Full schedule can be found here.

 

5 comments:

bermudaonion said...

Now I need to add her to my must read list!

Luanne said...

You'll like the character Kathy!

Heather J @ TLC Book Tours said...

Don't you love it when you discover a new-to-you author with a backlog of books?! I'm glad you're continuing to enjoy Alafair's books!

Thanks for being on the tour.

trish said...

Knowing the types of books I like, I have no idea why I haven't added Burke's books to my wishlist! I need to get on that!

Thanks for being on the tour!

Peppermint Ph.D. said...

"Burke has again come up with a plot populated with enough false leads and twists to keep me wondering 'whodunit' until the last few chapters."
I love that there's so much going on, that "whodunit?" isn't all that simple with Burke's books. I love that unpredictability! Enjoyed your review!