Tuesday, February 3, 2015

One Step Too Far - Tina Seskis

One Step Too Far by Tina Seskis is another first novel that's been getting lots of press lately. And it's my favourite genre -  psychological suspense.

Emily seems to have found happiness with her husband Ben, their solid careers and lovely home. Emily's childhood was somewhat unsettled - her father was a philanderer and her mother seemed simply overwhelmed. Emily is a twin and her sister Caroline was a difficult child - and an even more difficult adult. So, what would make Emily walk away from everything she had ever hoped to have?

 "It's funny how easy it , when it really comes down to it, to get up from your life and begin a new one."

Seskis takes us along with Emily (now calling herself Cat) as she starts her new life. But she also slowly (and maddeningly - in a good way) fills in what has led to Emily taking such a drastic step. It was impossible not to keep reading 'just one more chapter' before turning off the light for the night. But, it is not only through Emily's eyes and memories that the pieces are filled in. Ben, Caroline, Emily's parents and Cat's new friend Angel all have chapters and voices of their own. These supporting character's chapters are quite involved and at times, I wondered about the amount of detail given. It was only after I finished the book and was thinking about the title, that I thought it fit - each and every player in the story makes a decision that crosses a line and takes things one step too far. Seskis mixes narratives and timelines - the reader needs to be on their toes. I quite liked the unpredictability of it all.

But why, why, why is what kept me turning pages. I desperately wanted to know the reasons behind Emily's running.

I don't want to give anything away, so suffice to say Seskis pulls a literary sleight of hand that is masterful. I found myself back at the beginning just to see where the wool was pulled over my eyes.

After that spectacular reveal though, I did think that the part four ending that Seskis wrote took things just a step too far as well. It seemed to be overkill and the same sleight of hand language seemed too obvious.

I did really enjoy One Step Too Far and it's definitely a recommended read for those who love psychological suspense. Read an excerpt of One Step Too Far. 


"Tina Seskis lives in North London with her husband and son, and tries to write 2,000 words a day on her latest novel (working title The One). You can follow her daily tribulations with writing, dogs, mice, moths etc on Twitter at @tinaseskis or on her Facebook page."

See what others on the TLC book tour thought. Full schedule can be found here. Check out the book trailer too!

4 comments:

Kay said...

I'm definitely interested in reading this book. I've read a few other reactions, but after watching the video, I find myself already thinking...well, it could be this or it could be that or this. Can you tell I like puzzles in books? LOL

Top rated Health Insurance Indiana company said...

I read a lot and usually can tell how the book is going to go. But in this case it kept me interested and guessing all the way. I would recommend this book for a good read.

Tina Seskis said...

Hi, it's Tina. Thanks so much for your review, Luanne, I'm so pleased you enjoyed One Step Too Far, and I'm glad your review has made other readers want to give it a go. The book certainly causes a degree of debate about what and why, and seems to spark lots of conversation. Thanks again.
Tina x

trish said...

I LOVE books that make me turn back to chapter one to see what clues I missed! I'm so glad you enjoyed this book! Thanks for being on the tour!