Thursday, February 2, 2017

This is Not Over - Holly Brown

So, have you ever stayed in a Bed and Breakfast or booked a few nights in an Airbnb? Ever have any problems? Well, a problem with a rented stay is the the starting point for Holly Brown's new novel, This is Not Over.

Dawn looks forward to her 'getaways' with her husband Rob. A weekend rental in a luxurious home is a chance to imagine what life might be like for them. It's also a large financial outlay for them. So, when their latest 'host' Miranda deducts $200.00 from their deposit to 'replace the stained sheets', Dawn sees red. She knows that they did not ruin the sheets. And the rental was not perfect......

And so begins a war of sorts. Escalating nasty emails and texts, online stalking and more that threatens to consume each woman and their lives. Neither can let it go. They are each adamant that they are right and neither will back down. This is not over....

Each woman has a voice and as readers, we become privy to the details of their lives. We're observers, along for the ride, as the misconceptions compound and the resentment grows. I use observer as that was what I felt like as I read. I didn't become invested with either character as they are not likeable in any way, shape or form. I felt a bit like a rubbernecker, driving by an accident, unable to turn away but wanting to know what happened. I was curious as to where Brown was going to take things from that initial set of emails.

I had my suspicions about the ending as things progressed and I wasn't far off. I do feel the back and forth between the two women went on a bit too long in my opinion and could have tightened up a bit. And some of the plot devices need to be taken with a grain of salt. But that being said,  I can absolutely see how this would happen. Social media has become the public ring for battles of all sorts.  Read an excerpt of This is Not Over.

Brown is a practicing therapist and her descriptions of Dawn and Miranda's thinking and 'logic' benefits from her expertise. In the acknowledgments, Brown writes: "Thanks are also due to my 'host', who shall remain nameless. Sometimes inspiration comes from the most unlikely of places, and I am so grateful for that."

Cr: Yanina Gotsulsky
Holly Brown lives with her husband and toddler daughter in the San Francisco Bay Area, where she's a practicing marriage and family therapist. She is the author of the novel Don't Try to Find Me, and her blog, "Bonding Time," is featured on the mental health website PsychCentral.com. You can connect with Holly on Facebook.

See what other on the TLC book tour thought. Full schedule can be found here.

I received this book for review from HarperCollins and TLC Book Tours.

4 comments:

bermudaonion said...

This sounds like a good beach read.

Kay said...

My husband and I have stayed at rentals of those sorts several times. We've had experience that were mostly really good, a couple that were OK-enough. I will say that people seem to use 'reviews' on websites like these to vent their craziness. I suspect I'll get around to this book before long as I've read another book by this author and liked it.

Heather J @ TLC Book Tours said...

The fact that the author is also a therapist certainly adds a bit of reality to the characters - I'm sure she's seen some CRAZY things in her private practice!

Thanks for being a part of the tour.

trish said...

Social media really has become the public ring for these sorts of things. I was just talking to my mother-in-law about how it's so much harder for teens these days with social media, because you can be so passive aggressive online. Anyway, that's neither here nor there, but the book sounds really good!